- Flower nameSilybum marianum
- Scientific nameSilybum marianum
- Aliasオオアザミ, ミルクシスル , 大薊, Milk thistle, Milk thistle, Holy Thistle
- Place of originThe Mediterranean coast,Noth Africa and Asia
- Place of floweringFields and footpaths
- Flowering seasonMay, June
What is Silybum marianum
Silybum marianum,commonly called Cardus marianus,or milk thistle,maria thistle, is a biennial plant of the Asteraceae naturalized in the Mediterranean, North Africa and Asia. There are white mottled green leaves green ground like spilled milk. Summer fall, stem out heads and pink tubular flowers.Traditionally known as the liver drug.
Generic name: Milk thistle , scientific name: Silybum marianum, aka: Cardus marianus, milk thistle,maria thistle
Place of origin: Mediterranean coast, North Africa, Asia, environment: roadside, pasture, wasteland,
living type: biennial, grass height: 50-150 cm, Root leaf: white spots on green ground; petiole: alternate; margins: spines;
leaf shape: pinnate lobes; radially symmetrical; inflorescence: cephalic inflorescence; crown shape: tubular flower.
Flower color: reddish-purple; flowering season: May-June; flower diameter: 10 cm;
remarks: bracts swell after flowering; uses: ornamental, medicinal (liver disease).