- Flower nameSweet basil
- Scientific nameOcimum basilicum
- Aliasメボウキ, Sweet basil, バジリコ, basil, Ocimum basilicum
- Place of originAsia to Middle East
- Place of floweringGarden, Field, Botanical Gardens, Potted flower
- Flowering seasonJuly, August, September, October
- Language of flowersFavor
What is Sweet basil
Sweet basil, Basil, Garden basil, or Great basil, (scientific name: Ocimum basilicum) is a non-cold tolerant annual / perennial plant belonging to the family Lamiaceae from the Asia to Middle East region. It has a sweet and strong scent and is said to be the king of herbs. The leaves are green and shiny, and the veins are conspicuous. From summer to autumn, the spikes extend from the flower stems and white lip-shaped florets bloom. Seeds turn into jelly when immersed in water. It is used for ornamental, Italian cuisine, benign stomach, tonic, sterilization and calming action, so it is considered medicinal, fragrance, tea and oil.
Common name: Sweet basil, Scientific name: Ocimum basilicum, Alias: basil, Basilico, Garden basil, Great basil, origin: Asia to Middle East, plant heigh : 60-100 cm, flowering period: July to October, flower color: white, flower shape: lip shape.