- Flower nameHedychium coronarium
- Scientific nameHedychium coronarium
- AliasHedychium coronarium, マリポーサ, Mariposa, White ginger lily, Garland lily
- Place of originIndia, Nepal, Bhutan Southeast Asia to China and Taiwan
- Place of floweringSubtropical region
- Flowering seasonJune, August, September, October
What is Hedychium coronarium
Hedychium coronarium or white ginger lily(scientific name: Hedychium coronarium) is a semi-cold hardy bulbous perennial plant of the genus Hedychium in the family Zingiberaceae, native to India, Nepal, Bhutan Southeast Asia to China and Taiwan. It is considered the national flower of the Republic of Cuba. It is also known as ginger lily, white ginger lily, butterfly lily, Garland lily, and mariposa. The plant grows to 1 to 2 meters in height. What looks like a stem is an overlapping leaf sheath called a pseudostem. The leaves are 20-60 cm long, 5-10 cm wide, lanceolate, and alternate. In summer, a pseudostem emerges from among the leaves, and from the tip of the pseudostem, an ear-shaped inflorescence grows and produces many flowers. The flowers are mainly white, but there are also red, pink, and orange varieties.
Common name: Hedychium coronarium, scientific name: ginger lily, white ginger lily, butterfly lily, Garland lily, Mariposa, Flowering season: August to October, Flowering color: White, peach, orange, Aroma: Fragrance on flower, Fruit type: capsule Fruit type: capsule; uses: potted, garden, park, medicinal, perfume.