- Flower nameTiger Orchid
- Scientific nameGrammatophyllum speciosum
- AliasTiger Orchid, Gram. scriptum 'Tiger', グラマトフィラム・スペキオスム、, Grammatophyllum, ジャイアント・オーキッド, クイーンズ・オーキッド
- Place of originMalaya, Burma, Philippines, Indonesia, Solomon Islands, tropical Asia
- Place of floweringGreenhouse
- Flowering seasonSeptember, October, November
What is Tiger Orchid
Tiger Orchid (scientific name:Grammatophyllum speciosum) is perennial plant of the family Orchidaceae and is a huge orchid said to be world's largest. Because the height of the stock becomes up to 7.5 m, not size world one of the flower.
It lets many florets bloom in the inflorescence draw out from top of the flower stalk attached to large trunk or rock in a Southeastern Asian tropical rain forest. It is the close relation of the cymbidium, and the feeling of the flower is similar. Because a color of a flower is yellow, brown, and it has spotted design of the deep color to be called `tiger'.
Common name: Tiger Orchid, scientific name:Grammatophyllum speciosum, also known as: Gram.SCRIPTUM 'Tiger', the giant Orchid, Queen Orchid, grammar film, grammatofilam speciosam, origin: Malay Peninsula, Burma, Philippines, Indonesia, Solomon Islands, tropical Asia, high:2.5~7.5 m, flower diameter: 10 cm, flower color: Brown to yellow-brown spots and yellow reddish-brown spots, flowering: 9-11 months (one year), stem diameter: 2-4 cm, Stem shape: thick cylindrical.